Cub Reporter

The Student Journalism of Timnath High School

Cub Reporter

Cub Reporter

Dare to Self Care
April 26, 2024
How to Recycle
How to Recycle
April 1, 2024
TRASH.
TRASH.
April 1, 2024

Should Sophomores be allowed to attend prom?

Prom is a rite of passage, often only for juniors and seniors, to adulthood from adolescence, and is a major social event for teens.

The question of whether or not sophomores should be allowed to join in the prom activities has become a topic of conversation amongst some juniors. 

No juniors should have to spend their first prom with a bunch of sophomores. “Sophomores are not mature enough for the rite of passage to adulthood,” stated an anonymous freshman. The sophomore class is loud and most are annoying because they try to fit in with the upperclassmen but they’re just not there yet. 

Besides, sophomores will already get their two proms, and they don’t need three. “Freshman and sophomores already have a dance. They have homecoming and the winter dance. They don’t need another one,” Kayla Baradell, a sophomore, shared.  

If sophomores go, they will take the attention away from the juniors. “It’s supposed to be an upper classman thing,” said junior Kendall Fogelsong. It’s meant for juniors and seniors, so allowing the sophomores would be breaking tradition.

“In terms of Timnath, we’re already a middle through high school. We’re already not in a stereotypical high school environment. We deserve for prom to follow tradition.”

“I don’t feel like freshman should be able to go, because they don’t really have that level of maturity yet, but I don’t think sophomores shouldn’t be able to go, because technically for our school, sophomores and juniors are currently the upperclassmen of her school.”

Following the tradition of keeping it to juniors and seniors is important because it’s symbolic. It’s for those who have worked and grown through high school and are getting ready to graduate. It’s for them to celebrate their accomplishments.